Real Estate Transfers

Effective October 9th, 2019, we will no longer accept partially completed applications.  When submitting your applications, you must submit the signed and dated application, the appropriate fee, and the Smoke Detector/Carbon Monoxide Certificate signed by the Seller; and buyer along with the buyers phone number.

If all the aforementioned is not submitted all together, the application will not be accepted,  as it is administratively incomplete.

A Certificate of Occupancy is required for any residential and non-residential properties within the Township. No existing property shall be occupied or used by a new owner as result of transfer by title, deed, or other legal means until a Certificate of Occupancy has been issued by the Engineering Department.


A Certificate of Occupancy requires that both the sellers and purchasers certify that:
  • An operable smoke detection system or operable smoke detectors be placed within the immediate vicinity of all bedrooms, 1 in each bedroom, and 1 on every level of the building. This is in accordance with the Building Officials and Code Administrators International, Inc (BOCA) Property Maintenance Code as adopted by the Radnor Township Board of Commissioners.
  • All sump pump(s) or other devices which discharge drainage resulting from rain water, springs, wells, or others groundwater has been disconnected from the sanitary sewer system. This is in accordance with Chapter 235 of the Code of the Township of Radnor.


The following is the procedure the Township will follow to issue the Certificate of Occupancy:
  • Applications for a certificate of use and occupancy shall be filed with the Engineering Department by the seller of the property no less than 10 business days prior to settlement.  Applications must be signed by the property owner and submitted along with the required fee in the amount of $150.   
  • Upon receipt of the application, the township will proceed to inspect the property to determine compliance with regulations pertaining to house number and public sidewalks. Notice of violation(s) will be forwarded to the property owner following the inspection and must be corrected to meet township standards prior to the release of the Certificate of Use and Occupancy.  If sidewalk blocks need to be replaced and cannot be done prior to the settlement date, money will need to be placed in escrow with the Engineering Department.  A sidewalk permit is required for the work. 
  • The Smoke Detector Certification form must be completed by both the sellers and purchasers, and be submitted to the Engineering Department prior to the release of the Certificate of Occupancy.
  • When filing the application, the owner is required to schedule an appointment with the Public Works Department at 610-688-5600, ext. 129 for an internal inspection of the sanitary sewer soil pipe to confirm that no illegal connections exist. Notice of illegal connections to the sanitary sewer will be forwarded to the property owner following the inspection and must be corrected prior to the release of the certificate of use and occupancy.

Expedite Fee

A $300 fee will be charged for an expedited certificate of occupancy application of 10 days or less prior to settlement (adopted July 18, 2011 Resolution No. 2011-94 amending the 2011 Consolidated Fee Schedule for Transfer of Real Estate).

Any questions regarding the requirements or procedures should be directed to the Department of Community Development at 610-688-5600.

Forms & Applications