Bishop Richard Allen Park (renamed from Brook Street Park as per Resolution 2009-23 (PDF)) was purchased by Radnor Township in 2006 with funds from the Open Space Fund. The park replaced the site of a business. After the building was torn down and the park was developed, it opened to the delight of residents in November of 2007. The site was renamed Bishop Richard Allen Park in April 2009 in order to recognize the founder of the African Methodist Episcopal Church and his connection to the community. This quaint is well known and enjoyed by the residents of the surrounding Five Points neighborhood.
Features & Amenities
This small pocket park, located at the end of Brook Street, has a half-court basketball court and swing set. Benches provide a place to sit and enjoy the beautiful plants and shrubbery surrounding the park. The site was made ADA accessible with the addition of a ramp on Bryn Mawr Avenue that leads down to Brook Street alongside of Bishop Richard Allen Park.
Wreath Laying Ceremony: February 14, 2019
Marking the 259th anniversary of his birth on Valentine's Day at Radnor's Bishop Richard Allen Park are (from left) Rev. Carolyn Cavaness, Pastor, Bethel AME Church, Ardmore; Tammy Cohen, Radnor Township Director of Parks and Recreation; and Charles Thompson, member of Bethel AME.
The park honors the memory of Allen's 1784 walk to Radnor Township as an itinerant preacher, connecting Radnor to the important history of the founding in Philadelphia of the first African American church in the United States.