What if my bill is incorrect?

An appeals process will be implemented prior to January 2014 to handle any potential errors in the billing process. Once you receive your bill, you will be able to submit an appeal application to address the error. Additional information may be required or requested by the township depending on the nature of the appeal. Appeal packets can be found online.

Stormwater Appeal Packet (PDF)

Show All Answers

1. Will the fee change in the future?
2. How is a fee different from a property tax?
3. Who is subject to the fee?
4. Why is the fee based on impervious area?
5. Is there a way to reduce my fee?
6. What if my bill is incorrect?